[Opera-Linux] file handle issue in Solaris version of Opera 9.10

Stefan Urbat stefan.urbat at apastron.lb.shuttle.de
Sun Feb 11 14:49:36 UTC 2007

> Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:51:40 +0100
> From: "Tommy A. Olsen" <tommyo at opera.com>
>
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:48:11 +0100, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen
> <eirik at opera.com> wrote:
>
>> You've actually set the max open file handles to 256?  I seem to
>> remember that the default setting on solaris was 32.
>
> The default on Solaris 7 is 64. Solaris 8 and 9 use 256 with a default
> hard limit of 1024 (65536 on solaris 9).

This applies only to the total file handle limit per user/system, not to
a single process: even on Solaris 10 under all normal circumstances every
32 bit process (not thread!) is limited to at most 256 file handles open
at the same time. Only very special measures (not recommended by Sun) can
sidestep this, so a special configuration of the system where you build
you can try to increase it to 512 intrinsically. Only 64 bit processes are
able to open the mentioned maximum of 65536 file handles in the default on
Solaris 10.

> We have actually fixed this internally, by setting a higher file
> descriptor limit for for the Opera process in the startup script. It has
> been set to 512, which is enough. I'll see if we can do this for Opera 9
> as well. See Bug 227353. (Sorry, internal only)

This won't help at all: since Opera is just one process of a 32 bit
software, it will ran into the 256 files open at once limit though. This
is a general Solaris limit, which has either to be respected (so one is
forced to avoid opening more than roughly 250 file handles at once, safe
for the own needed by the application and config file or the like) or to
avoid it by building 64 bit software (which would disable all known
plugins of the browser). As mentioned, all threads of that process
together have the limit of 256 file handles. You can't increase this limit
by just changing the environment/ulimit values.

--
Registered GNU/Linux-User #169380 on http://counter.li.org/