[Opera-Linux] file handle issue in Solaris version of Opera 9.10

Tommy A. Olsen tommyo at opera.com
Fri Feb 9 17:51:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:48:11 +0100, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen
<eirik at opera.com> wrote:

> Stefan Urbat <stefan.urbat at apastron.lb.shuttle.de> writes:
>
>> We have encountered this limit from time to time ourselves in our
>> development company, here is the phenomenon:
>>
>> I restartet Opera with two windows, each of them containing a lot of
>> tabs. I could see around 80 threads running in the session
>> restauration phase, and on the console there were messages like unable
>> to open file. As result some tabs of the browser remained blank (no
>> restore from session cache possible).
>>
>> Since Opera is on Solaris a 32 bit software (which is needed to
>> support some usual plugins, like Flash and Adobe Readers' plugin), the
>> maximum 256
>> open file handles by one process is in this case obviously exhausted.
>>
>> Hope you will handle this --- extreme --- case by any measure.
>>
> You've actually set the max open file handles to 256?  I seem to
> remember that the default setting on solaris was 32.

The default on Solaris 7 is 64. Solaris 8 and 9 use 256 with a default
hard limit of 1024 (65536 on solaris 9).

> Last time this question was raised, it turned out that solaris's 32
> file handles was too little when m2 tried to open 50 files at once.  I
> don't remember what came out of it, but I have a feeling that little
> was done about the problem.
>
> I would suggest filing a bug report.  This is a problem that I think
> we really should be handling much better than we do.

We have actually fixed this internally, by setting a higher file
descriptor limit for for the Opera process in the startup script. It has
been set to 512, which is enough. I'll see if we can do this for Opera 9
as well. See Bug 227353. (Sorry, internal only)

--
Tommy
Desktop QA