[Opera-Linux] file handle issue in Solaris version of Opera 9.10

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Fri Feb 9 08:58:02 UTC 2007

Stefan Urbat <stefan.urbat at apastron.lb.shuttle.de> writes:

> We have encountered this limit from time to time ourselves in our
> development company, here is the phenomenon:
>
> I restartet Opera with two windows, each of them containing a lot of
> tabs. I could see around 80 threads running in the session
> restauration phase, and on the console there were messages like unable
> to open file. As result some tabs of the browser remained blank (no
> restore from session cache possible).
>
> Since Opera is on Solaris a 32 bit software (which is needed to
> support some usual plugins, like Flash and Adobe Readers' plugin), the
> maximum 256
> open file handles by one process is in this case obviously exhausted.
>
> Hope you will handle this --- extreme --- case by any measure.

You've actually set the max open file handles to 256?  I seem to
remember that the default setting on solaris was 32.

Last time this question was raised, it turned out that solaris's 32
file handles was too little when m2 tried to open 50 files at once.  I
don't remember what came out of it, but I have a feeling that little
was done about the problem.

I would suggest filing a bug report.  This is a problem that I think
we really should be handling much better than we do.

eirik